Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Pastor and Politician

I'm really not super politically minded. I understand the importance, at least somewhat (I'm referring to my understanding here) of being well versed and aware of politics. I watched an interview with McCain the other day and had some thoughts.

One of the reasons I find it hard to follow politicians is something that really isn't their fault. At least not totally. They really have to look like they have it all together. And I get that, in part. People wouldn't vote for them. And it seems like they really can't admit their faults. They can't be broken because people attack that brokenness. And if they were on one side of an issue, they really can't re-evaluate and change later, because if they do so, they're blamed for flip-flopping.

I'm glad I'm allowed to evaluate my philosophy and practice of ministry without being accused of flip-flopping. But if someone accused me of flip-flopping, I wouldn't mind. I'd just say "Always Reforming (I'll spare you the Latin)." That was the battle cry of the early protestant reformers.

Anyhow, I follow people most closely who will recognize they are broken. If they've never admitted their weaknesses, need for prayer, apologized, then that person will not get my 'vote.'
Pastors need to continually be reminded not to walk the road of the unbroken politician. So do all folks who lead. From churches to families. Fortunately my senior pastor has modeled that well for me.

No comments: