Monday, July 21, 2008

The End of the Tour de Preaching

I finished up my "preaching tour" of the Southwest, well Southwest FL Presbytery. I had a few "home games" and a few "away games." I finished up the tour on the road in Riverview, FL. Before the worship service officially started, we had the opportunity of hearing how God had impacted middle school youth group on their week long camp last week.

One of the little lads exclaimed, like the 80's smash hit-though he probably wasn't quoting it, because I'm sure had never heard of it or Dirty Dancing-"I had the time of my life." He said it was the best week of his whole life.


He had been challenged greatly and wanted to learn how to live out his faith, "sticking out" among other simply by his life. Then he told the congregation something to the effect of, "I want to be able to share my faith with my friends, but I have no idea what to do. If anyone wants to help me, you know where to find me..."

I was blown away. What humility to confess weakness, uncertainty, and the need for his community to assist him. I assured him I often feel the same way about evangelsim and a lot of other things, and I have to ask for help often. I of course used him as an example of the need for discipleship. But I what alluded to was his attitude. What would churches be like if not only youth, but adults were to embrace his posture? I want to grow, and I would love for someone in particular, and my church community in general, to assist me in that discipleship. I really wanted to go over there and hug that kid. But I think he would have thought I was a bit weird. Maybe next time I will, knowing that he'd be in good company.

Here's a short video of Connar using his new "bumbo." Unfortunately he thinks its a toilet.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, he is just so cute, you guys! I wish I could hold him. He looks like such a big boy in that seat. Enjoy these few days you have until he starts crawling!

Miss you all,
Jessica

Unknown said...

Jessica,

Thanks so much! He is way cute. He just hasn't been sleeping much at night. He's regressed in that department. We'd love to get back to 5-6 hour blocks. We'll see.