Saturday, July 19, 2008

Fireproof and Evangelism

Last night Amy and I had a hot date. Literally. We went to a free screening of a movie called Fireproof at a place called Marriage Works (a marital ministry that looked pretty cool) in Bradenton. Because I'm some big shot pastor (yeah right), people can get a hold of my email without too much homework. I'm assuming this ministry sent out a ton of emails to people in the area asking if they would be interested in a free screening of this movie. And free Chick-Fil-A. Oh, about the "hot part." It was way hot with all the pastors, ministry, and community leaders crammed into the room.

From the people who brought you Facing the Giants comes Fireproof. Some time in September for the lay folk. Sorry for bragging. The plot takes you inside the struggling marriage of a fire fighter who encounters the gospel and the possibility of a renewed marriage. I was skeptical of how much Amy and I would enjoy it, since I don't really like "Christian" movies-though I did like Midnight Clear which I saw a few weeks ago on recommendation from a friend. I actually did like it. I was drawn into the story, which I guess is what makes a movie "good," at least in part.

The acting was fairly bad and the jokes were cheesy. But I still laughed. If I told you Stephen Baldwin was NOT in it, then can you guess who played the fire fighter? Its a no-brainer. Yep, Kirk Cameron. He was decent, I thought.

We had to fill out cards at the end which indicated whether or not it would be a good outreach movie. Sending non-Christians to movies to hear the gospel may work. But I can't imagine sending my kayak fishing buddies to it though. But maybe a neighbor or two.

My view of evangelism takes place in relationships, hospitality, and community, as opposed to in a theater. Why can't I just tell them myself? But do I?

When I left, I realized that many attending that night WERE those type of people who would bring their unbelieving friends to such a movie. And that's good. People will hear the gospel. But what would I do? I can say that I believe the gospel is to be proclaimed in relationships, in hospitality, in dialog, in mercy, etc...But if I never actually verbally discuss, speak to, investigate with, or preach (at church by bringing folks) the content of the gospel, and the response of repentance and faith, then my style of evangelism is not really evangelism. That hit me hard.

I have a few folks in mine that I could bring with/send to a movie like this. But otherwise, our hot date really challenged me to be more intentional in seeking opportunities to dialog with and discuss the content of the gospel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of Midnight Clear; I have a much-increased respect Stephen Baldwin as of now