Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Missions Rap

Different folks in different contexts have different styles of worship which honor God the same. And during some worship services there will be a prelude, or an offertory, which is sung, instead of merely played. It is not for the congregation to sing, but to reflect upon. And by reflecting we participate. I personally love this time.

I don't know exactly what part of the service this clip fits into, but it is definitely unique, biblical, and challenging. It's a rap song. While I don't usually dabble into the rap scene, I still think it is legitimate and God honoring. Yes, even in church. Click here to watch some rap which is couched in this theology: missions exists because worship does not, so send me. In other words, God is not worshiped by many folks, so let us reach them for His glory. Wherever they are.

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

That was a better theology of missions than I've heard in a long time. And as a fan of rap, it excels where most Christian rap fails--it isn't sugary and bubblegum positive in content. Rap is supposed to talk about the dark side of life, but this nicely brought the redemption into the fall. In addition to not sucking.

Unknown said...

Rebekah,

Yep. I agree with all of the above. Thanks for commenting. Hope to see more of it, but maybe I should just post more rap related stuff, eh?

And not sucking is good as well. That's always a plus.

Geoff