Friday, October 17, 2008

Rays and Relationships are worth the risk

Last night was rough. Well just late last night. I did have a great presbytery committee meeting and a great first 6 innings of the Rays' game. In case you didn't see, know, or care, the Rays blew a 7-0 lead in the 7th inning to lose to our hated rivals: the Red Sox. They choked big time. Hopefully they can recover in game 6 or 7.

What was really strange to me was that this was a baseball game (baseball usually always plays second fiddle, or more apropos to the Rays-cowbell to football), and the loss really frustrated me. I've not been really bothered by a baseball loss since I jumped on the Pittsburgh Pirates bandwagon in the early 90's. Forgive me, I was in Jr. High. And here I was waking up several times in the night, thinking how can one blow such a lead?

I'm totally fine with it now. It took me longer than my standard 30 minutes recovery, but I'm totally not bothered by it anymore. And I had a thought. For better or for worse.

The reason the loss bothered me was because I had emotionally connected with the team. The team's story is amazing. Young guys, small pay roll, team-first mentality, etc....I also monetarily connected with the team by purchasing 4 tickets to Red Sox game in September (unfortunately their only home loss of the season to them!).

I used to watch a Rays game last year, see them lose, and be fine with it. But I feel I have much more personal capital invested this year. And that's why it was so hard to see them lose last night.


But the Rays, just like people, will let you down. They will frustrate you. They will break your heart and blow proverbial 7 run leads. And people, like the Rays-if they don't get the necessary fan base or new stadium-could potentially leave town someday.

So if you don't invest in relationships, you will be safe from frustration. But while you will be safe from rejection, frustration, feeling of loss when people leave, you will have far less joy. You are sacrificing your joy at the altar of protection. But unless you are investing in people in some way, (family, friends, church, and/or outreach), you are truly wasting your life.

It's been a blast following the Rays this year. They could totally choke the next two games. But it has been totally worth it. It's been fun to see 9th inning comebacks or 14th inning game winning sacrifice flies. Yet they're not my Savior, and neither are my relationships. I don't expect them to be-at least I try not to, though often fail at that.

People are worth investing in, despite the fact they will let you down and may only be in your life for a season. But if you're honest, you'll certainly return the favor in one or both of the aforementioned ways.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this post, Geoff. Very well said.

Staci

Randy Greenwald said...

It only took you thirty minutes? Whoa. I'm impressed. I'm still not over it. I may never watch another game.... at least until Saturday.

Geoffsnook said...

Staci,

Your welcome. I need to hear it myself!

Randy,

I said it usually takes 30 minutes. Last night the combined total might have been 30 minutes, but it was spread throughout the evening!