Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Dungy and Me

I just finished reading Tony Dungy's book Quiet Strength. I totally recommend it. Much of the book chronicles his experience with the Bucs, which I found especially entertaining. I could remember-whether that's good or bad-every game he spoke of. In detail. I can even remember watching several games in person.

But one thing that really hit home was his retelling of the infamous OT Bucs-Colts game in 2003. Tony Dungy had been fired 1 and 1/2 years prior to that season and immediately became head coach of the Indianapolis Colts. He came back to Tampa on his birthday. And the Bucs sure did give him a present. Up 35-14 with 4 minutes to go, Tampa Bay gave up 21 points, and lost in OT. On a really bad personal foul call which allowed his kicker to re-kick after missing, which he fails to mention in the book!

I can remember that evening. Oh what a night. That fateful Monday night. I'm not sure that I got a whole lot of sleep that night. I couldn't believe they had blown such a lead. And that call...As I was reading this section in the book, I began to realize how stupid it was/is to care that much about sports. In the book, the game ended, and Dungy went on to describe the next game. And the next game. And the next season. And the next, until he closed with his Super Bowl victory.

And who cares that the Bucs lost that game? Who cares that they were 7-9 that season? And when they actually did win the Super Bowl, did it stop me from being depressed?

Reading this book has given me a better picture of how to view sports. Enjoy sports and glorify God through them by using them as a connecting time or point with family, friends, church folk, co-workers, neighbors. But understand that after the season is over, that win or that loss means very little in the big picture. Even very little in the big picture of sports history!

Just don't remind me of this truth IMMEDIATELY after the Bucs lose a play-off game. God's really worked in this area of my life. But it still takes about 30 minutes or so to come back to reality.

Now of course with the Rays and Red Sox, it is more of a good versus evil thing that transcends sports. OK, maybe that's a stretch. But a small one....

2 comments:

Justin Woodall said...

This is a bit hard to practice after last night...

Geoffsnook said...

Justin,

I totally agree brother! I had a feeling I was going to have to eat my word when I wrote that.

Especially after the announcers were basically talking about the Rays-Phillies match up during the stinking game! I wonder if the Rays lost focus, or the Red Sox are just that good...Who knows. I guess we'll see on Saturday, but I hope not Sunday. Bucs play that night!