Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Prostitution, Diane Sawyer, and bible quoting

On Friday night I DVR'd a special on prostitution in America. It was pretty darn sad of course. And I guess informative. My favorite part was Diane Sawyer's concluding remarks. She said something to the effect of, "In light of this being Good Friday, let us remember Jesus' words to the woman caught in adultery, 'Let he is without sin, cast the first stone.'"

Now she does have a good point. I need Jesus just as much as those prostitutes. And you do too. If you don't think so after Sunday, I didn't do a good job preaching on this subject-or you weren't there, or weren't listening. In the latter case it would be your fault, not mine.

Perhaps one of the purposes of the special was to challenge people to respond with compassion instead of condemnation. In that case it worked. I felt sad for these women. Only one really thought it was a noble profession. But I felt saddest for those who left the lifestyle and then returned to it. They tasted freedom and then went back to slavery.

Yet I found those closing words from Diane most thought provoking. People like Jesus' words when they support their agenda. But they can't take much of what Jesus says about Hell, or himself being the only way to salvation. These are far less popular, and consequently less quoted.

Now I do like Diane Sawyer the reporter and interviewer. But I have actually seen her oppose any sort of exclusive faith claims before so I know for a fact she wouldn't be caught dead quoting John 14:6.

But are we that much different than Diane? We may use some more verses, but there's probably plenty we tend to leave out of our repertoire. Solution? Regularly read the gospels.

No comments: