Friday, March 14, 2008

On being famous: What a band and NFL player taught me

I used to listen to a band called Vertical Horizon. They were an acoustic guitar duo before they turned to the dark side of trendiness, leather pants, and pop music. Now they're famous, popular, but not really as good (or course in my opinion). Ironically they sang a song called "Famous" with these lyrics (I wish they would have taken their own advice):






Oh I know
The wind is gonna blow
And in the winter
There's sure to be snow
But with the warmth of your smile
And the sun of your face
Shine on me in the darkness
With your love and grace
And if time hides my eyes
Listen to my music and recognize


Chorus:
I don't want to be famous in life
I don't want to be famous in the world
I just wanna be famous
Famous
I want to be famous in your heart

I thought of this song the other day, because I have to admit I want to be famous. Steve Brown once told me that my writing is good, but "no publisher will take it because I'm not already famous." He was just being honest, which is one thing I love about him.

Anyhow, I met a man in the gym-this all connects if you can stay with me-whose name I recognized. Someone told me that he played football and I immediately recognized he played defensive end for the Indianapolis Colts. Wow. But they told me I couldn't say anything because he doesn't want anyone to know. He doesn't want anyone to know that he's famous! So I can't mention his name here.

That's honestly something I struggle with. I would love to be famous. I really would. Not just so I could be published, but simply famous. I have to confess it a lot. But the reason I struggle with it so much is because I don't believe the lyrics of this Vertical Horizon song: "I just want to be famous in your heart." But if Jesus did come and die for me, has seated me in the heavenly realms (Eph 2:6), and knows the hairs on my head (Matt 10:30), then that's pretty famous.
Famous in His heart. That ought to be good enough. Things I learned from pop stars and an NFL player.

No comments: