Saturday, January 31, 2009

Fatherly Thoughts 2

Here's my 2nd and probably final "Fatherly blog thought" for a bit. Connar loves to hear and watch me play guitar. He goes crazy for it. So I regularly break out the 6 string and sing to him. Or sing over him is probably more accurate.

Here I am singing Allison Krauss' "You say it best when you say nothing at all." I find that an appropriate song, though he "can't" say anything at all yet. The smile on his face lets me know that he loves me-another line from the song if you're not familiar with it. And that smile is plenty enough for the time being. Of course he could say to me, "You say it best when you sing nothing at all." But he's too young to tell my voice is bad and hasn't developed the chutzpah to say that yet.


This practice and specifically this picture (click on the picture to get a bigger and clearer image) remind me of Zephaniah 3:17

"The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing."

That's what God does to His children, and I think that is downright cool. Surprising. Counter-intuitive, but amazing. I guess to be consistent with my Allison Krauss reference, I should have just posted the verse and the picture. You write it best, when you write nothing at all.

No comments: