Friday, February 15, 2008

Better someone else's hands than your foot

On Valentines Day, Amy and I did what most love birds do on this special day: go to the dentist. It would have been romantic, I guess, if we had been in opposite rooms or something. But our appointments were staggered so we didn't quite get to share the moment.

Regardless we shared a great joy through sharing good news. I had no cavities (by the grace of God), great teeth (still not really sure what that means), and she didn't complain about my small mouth (she only mentioned it after I first brought it up). Hygenist of the year for sure. Of course Amy's report was similar.

While being subjected to one of the few necessary evils (the dentist office) left in this world, I had two predominant thoughts.

1.) I was impressed at the hygenist for being able to talk with me, in a conversational way, that still afforded me a chance to respond with grunts and 'uh-huhs.' That takes skill.

2.) Since her hands were in my mouth pretty much at all times, I had to listen to what she said. And she was interesting and surprisingly inquisitive so it wasn't all that hard. But I really had no choice either. I couldn't speak. I was reminded of two verses.

a."Be quick to listen, slow to speak, slow to become angry (James 1)." This is hard for
pastors-we spent 3 years of our lives studying so that we could come back and teach people. But its probably hard for most, and necessary for all.

b. "I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin; I will put a muzzle on my mouth while the wicked are in my presence....(Psalm 39:1-2a)." At the dentist office, we have a muzzle. But when we leave, we leave that muzzle behind. I'm going to try to remember the blessing of someone having their hands in my mouth: I'll listen better. After all, its better their hands than my foot.

No comments: