Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Pulling for Tebow, but not Patriots?

I have to admit I was somewhat saddened by the news that Tim Tebow had been signed by the Patriots. I have no love for the Boston sports market. I support a church planter bringing the gospel to this un-churched area, but outside that, along with my prayers, is all the love this area will get from me. Honestly, I've just grown a distaste for Boston's sports teams, but its not like a Jonah-Nineveh type deal. I've got no beef with the people, just the sports teams.

Besides Bellicheat, we may have a new reason to dislike the Pats with the murder investigation involving one of its star tight ends Aaron Hernandez, who currently has not been ruled out as a suspect.

But I digress, as usual.

I'm happy Tim Tebow was able to find a team wiling to take a risk on his services (although he does have as many play-off wins as Falcons QB Matt Ryan). I'm not convinced he will make the 53 man roster, but I hope he does.

And therein lies my dilemma. What if he plays and plays well-unlikely as it may be? I couldn't pull for the Patriots. Perhaps I'll pull for Tebow to get some touchdowns and for the defense to play like the Buccaneers of 2012 (less than 30 yards away from worst pass defense ever).

I wonder if other folks do that? Pull for a player they admired in college, but pull against his particular NFL team.

Then I thought, I wonder if Tebow might be offended. Not that he reads this blog, or that I'll run into him or whatever. But could that possibly be offensive to him? I think he might have a right to be offended. He's a team player. It's not about stats (his are always terrible), but about the team winning.

Would he be flattered-or rather honored-to have a fan who will pull for him to succeed yet for his team to fail? Or would Tebow say, "You can't follow me, and hate what I care most about. You can't like me, but hate and pull against my friends. Those people are like my brothers. You can't follow me but hate what I came to do with and for these guys. You can't separate me as a person from my work on this team.

If Tebow would be offended, then how much more so would Jesus be offended by those who say, "I love Jesus, but I hate the church."

Can you love Jesus but want nothing to do with those whom he has declared to be his friends (John 15:14), his brothers (Hebrews 2:11)?

Can you love him but hate his bride (Rev 21:2)? That's almost like saying, "I love you Geoff, and I'd love to hang out sometime, but don't bring that dirty tramp of a wife you married. I cant stand her. No offense though."

Hmmm.....Yep that would offend me. And I would say that you can't love me and hate the one I love more than anyone else in the world. Well you could, but I don't think that would constitute a very healthy relationship.

Can you love Jesus but hate the team he played for (meaning on their behalf)? Can you love Jesus but hate his wife, as though that is not offensive to Him?

I don't think Tebow would be down with that, and I know Jesus isn't down with it. As hard as the local church is to love (and those in local churches can be very hard; I know, I'm one of them), these are still Jesus' little brothers, bride, servants, friends, and I guess you could say "teammates," when they are fulfilling his mission.


No comments: