Monday, March 12, 2012

Practically teaching Calvinism

When I interviewed for my first youth director position, the interviewing pastor said, "Are you comfortable teaching TULIP?" I was surprised-and frankly turned off-that he would ask me that question so soon in the informal interview. But the funny thing is, now twelve years later, I don't think I've actually ever sat down, or rather stood up, and specifically spent a deliberate time teaching Calvinism that way. I've also never preached a sermon designed to prove what I believe to be the truth about predestination.

Instead, I've just more or less assumed that truth, and so have taught passages of scripture Calvinistically. Let me give you two examples from this Sunday: one from Sunday School and one from youth group.

1.) Sunday School. I was trying to affirm the good things about the book Crazy Love before moving on to the critiques. We looked at the parable of the Seeds and the Sower, which explains that the true believer will produce fruit and persevere by faith until the end. He/she will not be overtaken by the weeds, the rocks, the cares or the persecution of this world. I didn't say, "this is the Perseverance part of the P in TULIP." I simply emphasized that true believers will persevere until the end. The passage  refutes the "I prayed a prayer when I was 6 and am good to go now" mentality. I had a professor that would say, "That's not Reform theology, that's just bible!" I prefer to try and teach Reformed truths this way.

2.) Youth Group. In a previous youth group, we learned how gossip is living contrary to the gospel. As a result, I figured we should probably instruct the kids that their responses and expectations to gossiping friends will depend upon whether their friends are Christians or non-Christians. For instance, while some non-Christians MAY respond favorably (Matt 5:14-16), we should not EXPECT them to respond favorably when confronted. Why? We read Ephesians 2:1-5. Because the natural state of man (and teenagers!) is that we're dead in sins and trespasses, and enslaved to the "prince of the air," until we're made alive by Jesus. Why should we EXPECT them to NOT gossip? In addition, their real problem is not that they are gossiping, but that they need to be forgiven and made alive by Christ. What good is it to just tell them to stop? I just gave them a little of the "T" for Total Depravity (I didn't go all the way and say dead men/women can't choose Jesus either, but it was a start).

This is simply practically applying Calvinistic thought to the issue of gossip. I don't know whether or not it's as effective as teaching TULIP to teenagers (but I think it could be). Still, in my own experience, I know a number of people have come to embrace the truths of Calvinism not by walking step-by-step through TULIP but by hearing hearing these truths piecemeal over time and then saying, "Ahhh....yeah, that's what I already believe." That's pretty close to my own experience too


No comments: