Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Winning and Losing: God's help and God's involvement

This Sunday I preached on Philippians 4:10-23 which includes the famous or in-famous Phil 4:13 "I can do all things through him who gives me strength." The major theme of this passage is thankfulness, but the "sandwiched" truth in the middle is that we CAN be content in all situations: from bad houses to bad spouses, from losing to bad weather. Now I'm not saying I always believe that; I often don't. But I think its more scriptural to say I CAN THROUGH CHRIST honor God and find contentment in specific situations than it is to say "I just can't...." (which we all say from time to time, right?) and become angry, gripe, or run. The sermon can be found here.

I pulled for Tebow and the Broncos vs. the Patriots (I pull for anyone vs. the Patriots) but pretty much saw on the TV Saturday what I thought I might see: a clubbing.

But I'm very thankful for how far the Broncos went this season and the opportunities for Jesus to be talked about by secular sports talk show hosts that probably don't even know or usually care too much for Him. Because of Tebow, pastors and theologians have also been given a platform as well. One such article, that I think is incredibly apropos for all sports fans, is the Atlantic Journal's  "Does God care if Tim Tebow wins on Saturday." How cool is it that The Atlantic Journal, read by all kinds of different folks from all kinds of different beliefs, has given those folks a chance to read about God's Sovereignty, Providence, Secondary Causes, Calvin, etc..., and of course Jesus. Check it out, as it will be helpful not just as an athlete, fan, or parent, but simply as a person navigating this world with the hope of a Transcendent as well as Immanent Lord.

Whether winning or losing, we see a growing Christ-centered contentment in Tebow (as opposed to his crying after loss at FL), as well as the opportunities God has afforded many others through his faith, passion, service, and play on the field.

No comments: