Thursday, November 3, 2011

The Sing-Off and the Judges who hear it all



My wife Amy and I love
The Sing Off. My three year old Connar does also does as we found out when he couldn't go to sleep on Monday night. If you've not seen it, The Sing Off, now in its third season, is an a-capella competition. The winner gets some sort of recording contract.

I guess the judges know what they are talking about, or at least act like they do, because the things they say I can't necessarily follow. Sometimes I don't agree with them. Sometimes I don't agree, probably, because I don't understand what they are talking about when they say things I don't understand. Make sense?

Anyhow, one of the things that impresses me with these judges, which include Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman, and Sara Bareilles, is their ability to hear individual singers who I simply can't hear. Each judge has a list of names, and they will regularly heap praises on lads or lasses that I had no idea were doing what the judges said they were doing. 

I can hear the lead singers, and the collective sound, but I can't pick out what EVERY individual is doing. I see the person in front, and then the group as a whole. I can't hear the minor changes, the specific b-box, or tenor, or whatever.

It reminded me of how easy it is for us to see the church like this: a pastor and then everyone else doing their collective thing. Perhaps churches promote this by placing their pastor's name on the church marquee? Not sure, but maybe something to think about?

Regardless, as Paul reminds us in 1 Corinthians 12:14-26, each plays a part. Some parts are more "up front," and noticeable. Some parts are more behind the scenes and blend in with others. But isn't it good to know that your Judge hears all the voices. He notices all the parts. 

He notices the nursery worker, the Sunday School teacher, the greeter, the person inviting people to church without much "success," the sound set-up guy, the lad who sets up the stage in the movie theater and is tired of doing it, etc..... 

And when the church collectively serves together, the sound is beautiful. He is your audience, and because of Jesus and his work in you, he likes what He hears.

If individuals stop doing what they're doing because they don't think they are being heard, we'll have problems. But when the pleasure of the judge clapping and celebrating over you is your focus, you won't feel ignored, passed over, or useless.

No comments: