Monday, June 27, 2011

Psalm 49 and Appraisals

Last night I was bummed when I heard of a neighbor's property appraisal. It turned out significantly lower than I had anticipated, which of course means my property value is now significantly lower than I anticipated. Perhaps a better way of putting it is that my property value is significantly lower than I "trusted" it to be. Deja vu all over again-my house in FL dropped 140,00o in value. All I've experienced with homes is that they drop in value not long after you purchase them. 

I was bummed. I was angry at God. Then I came to Psalm 49, well off the church Psalm reading schedule. And I'm glad I came, and I'm glad I was behind. Psalm 49 was just what I needed.

"Why should I fear in times of trouble.....those who trust in their wealth and boast of the abundance of their riches..For he sees that even the wise die; the fool and the stupid alike must perish and leave their wealth to others. Their graves are their homes forever, their dwelling places to all generations, though they called lands by their own names....For when he dies he will carry nothing away; his glory will not go down after him"

Homes are temporary. They don't follow us to the grave, which is a good thing. They're not worth losing sleep over (though I actually slept fine minus the interruption from a crying infant). I'm thankful for such Psalms, which remind me to place my story/problems within, not outside, the story of greater story of Redemption. Better to be grace rich, then property rich-which I'm now learning will probably never be a possibility. And maybe I should be more thankful for such appraisals.

God places a higher priority on our sanctification than our property value. Now to believe that tomorrow...Guess I'll be going back to Psalm 49 again.

No comments: