Monday, May 23, 2011

Eternity in Steven Tyler's heart?

For the most part, it is not too difficult to find evidence of Ecclesiastes 3:11:

"He has made everything beautiful in its time. Also, he has put eternity into man's heart, yet so that he cannot find out what God has done from the beginning to the end."

As far as I understand this passage, folks have some innate sense of not just their own mortality, but that there just might be something/someone greater or worse than this physical world: a sense of deity and of heaven/hell. Yet we also see from this passage, that such knowledge is somewhat limited. Assumptions about heaven or hell are often just that: assumptions based upon a self concocted view of reality rather than biblically informed world-view of Creation, Fall, Redemption, and Consummation.

In reading a Rolling Stone magazine article on current American Idol judge Steven Tyler, I came across yet another indication of "eternity" in "man's heart." I guess it really shouldn't have surprised me:
  
"....I'm going to get up to heaven, and the gate's going to open, and God's going to go, 'You know what, I threw Beelzebub out while were listening to one of your songs......I think I've been so lucky in my life that I'll probably die in my sleep, thank you, Lord Jesus."

Now he probably knows that Satan got tossed from heaven a long time ago, and I'm not sure what his standard is for who gets in and who doesn't. But drugs, sex, rock-n-roll don't seem to have suppressed the reality of a heaven. I wonder if the question of heaven or hell might be something non-Christians think about more than we think they do. We probably shouldn't be too surprised. Even with the suppression of truth in unrighteousness in pop culture, and all sub-cultures for that matter, the "eternity" set in their "hearts" still seems to at least have a small beat.

No comments: