Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Bonhoeffer and Children

Dietrich Bonhoeffer has always been a fascinating character to me, ever since I heard about him in my Catholic high school. Recently I purchased Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas. Tim Keller wrote the foreword for it, so that was another reason why I figured it might be worth a look. It is. The book is very well written and engaging. After a 100 pages into it, I completely commend it to you. Here is a quote from about the brilliant but also pastoral Bonhoeffer regarding academia and children's ministry.

"Bonhoeffer began to wonder whether he ought to pursue the life of a pastor rather than that of an academic. His father and brothers thought that would be a waste of his great intellect, but he often said that if one couldn't communicate the most profound ideas about God and the bible to children, something was amiss...." pg 64

The one who is truly bright can communicated deep truth in ways that all can understand it. Here's to growing in wisdom for the sake of the children.

No comments: