Monday, March 1, 2010

Dancing With The Stars: do you get it?

Some shows come on TV, and you can tell they are destined for only a brief moment in the spotlight. While I thoroughly enjoyed deception based shows like "My Big Fat Obnoxious Boss" and "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance," you knew they just wouldn't last. Did you not think the same would happen with "Dancing with the Stars?" I'll admit I was totally wrong. Can you honestly say you thought such a summer filler type show would make its way into so many homes over the last several years?

NFL star Chad Ochocinco and Kate Gosselin (formerly of Jon and Kate Plus 8) will dance their way into someone's hearts (not mine) this 10th season. But have you ever stopped to think why this show is so popular? If millions of people like something, they usually like that something for a reason.

Perhaps its the scantily clad ladies, and I think that's certainly part of it. Perhaps its our fascination with celebrities? Perhaps we like to see people fail?

But perhaps it is also the beauty and artwork of dancing/choreography, which we can perform and appreciate as human beings made in the image of God. The popularity of TV shows often reveals not only our "fallen-ness" but also some aspect of being Image bearers and thus reflecting something true of Him.

Whatever it is, or rather whatever combination it is, I think "Dancing with the Stars" hits home with something in us (again, not me, but millions of folks). Though not many dudes will actually admit to watching it, I bet you've met someone who said, "No I don't watch the show," yet currently can't wait for Chad Ochocinco to waltz and Kate Gosselin to do the mamba.

These are my best guesses for why "Dancing with Stars" has garnered such an audience. Feel free to chime on and agree or disagree or let me know what you think.

No comments: