Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Jellyfish from Hades

As an avid angler and lover of the sea, I've been stung by jellyfish on several different occasions. Never been a fan of them. One of the reasons I like sea turtles so much is that they eat these cnidocytes. On some occasions growing up in Tampa Bay, when I actually used live bait, they would get stuck in the cast net and sting me while trying to take out the bait fish. For one Japanese fishing boat, a number of large jellyfish did a lot more than sting them or make fishing hard. They ruined the day by sinking the boat. Check it out here. Crazy.

2 comments:

Gail and Keith said...

Bizarre! I would imagine that a sting from one of those fellers and you'd be prit' near dead! G

Geoffsnook said...

I don't know what sort of poison level these jokers have. Not sure if its in between a normal one and a portugese man-of-war.