Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The benefit of losing

Tony Dungy is known for a number of things, but losing isn't really one of them. In fact, even in Tampa, he had only one losing season and a .500 season. But most people probably don't realize that before the Bucs had their big turnaround (of course now they've done another 'about face' at 1-8), Dungy was winless for a while, and if memory serves me correctly, he was also 1-8.

So he knows what it is like to experience losing. The experience of losing qualifies him to be an affective mentor to other losers. In fact it has even led winless
New Mexico head football coach Mike Locksley to seek Dungy out as a mentor. Allegedly there was some physical alteration with another assistant coach. New Mexico has had some violence issues, as you may remember, with New Mexico soccer player Elizabeth Lambert's "rough play."

Losing (game, jobs, family) stinks, but one thing it does is qualify us to minister to others who can't say, "You don't know what I'm going through." Losing qualifies us to minister to other losers. And even when we can't empathize perfectly, we can point them to a high priest who can (Hebrews 4:15).

2 comments:

Staci Thomas said...

This, my friend, is a phenomenal, practical encouragement to me. I pray I will remember this post and focus on remembering that my losing games are really winners.

Geoffsnook said...

Glad to be of some help! I'm preaching this to my self during a bit of a "losing streak."