Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Intentional Leaving


I'm reading a book now called the The Tangible Kingdom, a book about creating in-carnational community centered around Jesus' Kingdom. Here are some ideas from a chapter called "Leaving," dealing with leaving the confines of your comfort zone to build bridges with non-believers, or as these writers call them: Sojourners. I guess because everyone is somewhere on a spiritual journey.

1.) Letting people live with you in your home for extended periods of time.....giving up space, time, comfort for the sake of connecting with Sojourners. "In the five years that we've lived in Denver, we've had people living with us more than four hundred of those days."

2.) Having dinners or doing dinners out with Sojourners. As a church planter he commits one night a week, but what about one night or meal a month?

3.) Doing what you love with others (hobbies).

4.) Going out of your way to build relationships. "I look to see whose car is in the parking lot at our Starbucks. If it's a Sojourner I've been trying to include in my life, I'll pull over, go in, buy a quick coffee, try to make some good conversation, and then on my way out, throw my coffee away without even taking a sip (if he's already had 8 cups that day)."

5.) Looking for chances to talk. "When I have seen a neighbor outside our street, I've specifically gone out to 'get my mail,' just so I could converse a bit more with him or her."


Letting others live with you would definitely be the hardest, and perhaps more appropriate at some times than others. However that doesn't mean that we shouldn't do it. The rest of these ways are simply common sense ways of INTENTIONALLY "leaving" for the sake of others. Simple but intentional.

1 comment:

Missio said...

We noticed on your blog that you wrote about The Tangible Kingdom by Hugh Halter and Matt Smay. Thanks for taking the time to do that.

One of the questions Matt and Hugh often received following the launch of that book was "Loved the book, but how do I get my community to do that?" The newly launched The Tangible Kingdom Primer is our effort to help small groups and churches do just that. It is an 8-week guide to creating missional and incarnational communities.

If you would like to receive a free copy of the Primer, please contact us at: books{AT}crmleaders.org. Please provide your name, the street mailing address you would like it delivered to (no P.O. Box please) and your email address. In the subject line, put Tangible Kingdom Primer Blog Copy.

For more details on the Primer, please log on to www.tangiblekingdom.com