Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Detergent vs. Soap



On Sunday afternoon, I tried to do something nice for Amy and go ahead and run the dishwasher. After about 10 minutes I realized that my niceness was combined with stupidity. I used dish SOAP instead of dish DETERGENT. I would recommend you not do that. Ever. Because you will get lots of foam and bubbles, and you'll end up using your entire arsenal of towels. Fortunately my neighbor instructed me that bleach reduces the foam. So after a few hours, a little bleach, and more than a few towels later, our dishwasher was back to normal.

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

I've always wanted to do that to see precisely how bad it would go!

Gail and Keith said...

Keith and I were just discussing what would happen if you put dish soap in a dishwasher. But, just look at the adorable picture of Connar. It was well worth the mess you made!
G

Gus/Adri said...

I don't know how it would work in the dishwasher, but I know that if you use too much liquid dish soap in the sink, you can sprinkle on salt and it reduces the bubbles immediately.

I didn't know that about bleach.

--ae

Unknown said...

Yep, let your curiosity stir no longer. Stick with detergent. However bleach does help. I don't think it would be good to put salt in the dishwasher though.

Geoff