Sunday, February 8, 2009

Widow Joy

A few weeks ago, Amy and I visited one of the widows in our church (this by the way is my Grandma-all the "widow" pictures on google images were way freaky looking). We did it because God tells us that He cares about such people and visiting them is a non-negotiable (James 1). More specifically each community group takes responsibility to watch over a widow or two so that none fall through the cracks, and I hadn't been doing the greatest job as a leader. We spent about 45 minutes talking and listening-more listening than talking-and had an absolute blast. She blessed us just as much as we blessed her. Amy, Connar, and I will definitely be back.

So what's my point? I can't fix stuff. Another church member has provided that kind of support for her; he's the man. But I can listen, and I have a wonderful wife and a really cute kid, so I try to put my best feet forward. Giving of yourself and time, even it's something as simple as visiting a widow or fixing her stuff, can provide more joy than anything else you do. Perhaps more joy than bringing in a big redfish-though I hope to do that again soon....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

To Joy and to all, here's one for you- Be thou my vision.

"Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art.
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one."