Friday, December 5, 2008

Miles to go before I sleep

Robert Frost's "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" served as my introduction when I preached at my best bud's ordination service a few years back. I used the last lines "Miles to go before I sleep. Miles to go before I sleep...." as commentary on how we feel much of the time. Well I felt the "miles to go" part again tonight.

Since everyone is busy-I've met few people who say they're not busy-I'm sure all of us have felt despair at the proverbial miles we feel we must travel before we get a chance to sleep. All of the stuff to do (bills to pay, chores, reports, papers, sermons, books to read, relationships to mend, etc....). Especially during Xmas time when everything seems to get busier.

In fact, these "miles" I must travel next week are a large reason why I'm up blogging at 12:30 am tonight. I was already awake BEFORE Connar started his midnight gas routine that woke him and Amy up.

When I preached at the ordination service I camped out at Colossians 1:28-29 where Paul mentions that he struggles with all Christ's energy which so powerfully works in him. In fact his goal was to present everyone "perfect" (I think he means "perfect" as in mature). A lofty goal no doubt. Paul lost sleep, I'm sure, worrying about his churches (II Cor 11:28). But he also slept content at night (Phil 4:11-13).

And so we can sleep and rest even now. There will be many more miles to travel tomorrow, yet we have someone who promises to sustain us during those miles. After all it is "His energy" which powerfully works in us. I can sleep. I can rest. If I believe, which I'm obviously not doing right now (its always easier to preach a verse than believe a verse) or I would be in bed. There's still hope for me and help in my unbelief (Mark 9:23). I just hope that help comes soon.

No comments: