Thursday, December 18, 2008

Bono and Xmas

I found this Christmas reflection from U2 lead singer Bono on another blog. Very poetic and thoughtful.


This reflection on Christmas occurred after Bono had just returned home, to Dublin, from a long tour with U2. On Christmas Eve Bono went to the famous St. Patrick’s Cathedral, where Jonathan Swift was dean. Apparently he was given a really poor seat, one obstructed by a pillar, making it even more difficult for him to keep his eyes open…but it was there that Christmas story struck him like never before. He writes:

“The idea that God, if there is a force of Logic and Love in the universe, that it would seek to explain itself is amazing enough. That it would seek to explain itself and describe itself by becoming a child born in straw poverty, in sh&$ and straw…a child… I just thought: “Wow!” Just the poetry … Unknowable love, unknowable power, describes itself as the most vulnerable. There it was. I was sitting there, and it’s not that it hadn’t struck me before, but tears came streaming down my face, and I saw the genius of this, utter genius of picking a particular point in time and deciding to turn on this.”

Excerpt taken from Bono: in conversation (New York: Riverhead Books, 2005), 124-5.

3 comments:

snowbot said...

Funny that you mention this... I'm actually re-reading this book right now, and read this exact passage last night.

Unknown said...

Keith,

Wow bro, that's crazy. Same thing happened when I put a Piper quote down-someone had just finished using that in Sunday School. Thanks for letting me know. I need to get the book; am I really a U2 fan if I don't have the book?

I really love Bono's thoughtfulness. I hope to be able to reflect more on the meaning of Christmas. That's why I like Advent so much-though I've not been as faithful this year as I would have liked. Blame it on Connar!

Anonymous said...

I just finished reading that book last month, and remember that passage quite clearly. It is amazing that God would choose to reveal himself in such ways.

Tom