Tuesday, November 25, 2008

That's actually not in the bible....

I usually listen to a radio fishing show with Capt's Billy Nobles and Mike Anderson on the way to church. Since I live about 5 minutes from the church, I don't get to hear very much. But some times I'm able to gather a few nice morsels of information. This Sunday the hosts discussed some service opportunities at Metropolitan Ministries in Tampa. Apparently there has been a shift in ministry focus. Instead of simply giving people stuff, they are now doing more now to equip those in need.

One of the hosts informed me of a bible verse that I was currently unaware of. He spoke of the biblicity of Metropolitan Ministries' vision, reminding the listeners, "It's like that verse in the bible, 'Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, feed him for a life time."

Two thoughts came to mind.

1.) That verse may come from III Opinions, but it is definitely not in the bible. Nevertheless, it is wise, and is a good application of the commandment to love our neighbor.

2.) It really is important to know what the scriptures say and where they say it. I don't know how many times I've heard, "It's like that verse somewhere that says something like..." Sometimes our summaries of verses are so far off that we're not much different than that fishing guide: assuming that the "verse" in question is actually in the bible. Lately I've been challenged myself to spend more time in the Word so that I don't fall into this trap and so that I don't allow others to either.

No comments: