Friday, October 24, 2008

Reminder to pray

One of the blogs I usually check out a few times per week is Justin Taylor's Between Two Worlds. He's a bit more politically minded than I am (though that's not too tough regrettably) so he's making me a little less ignorant. Anyhow, his posts are very often just cut and pasted from other books, articles, or blogs. One such post referenced Abraham Piper.

Abraham Piper is the son (I think the youngest son) of John Piper, my favorite Baptist pastor. Apparently he has joined his father in ministry.

About 8 years ago I went to a conference, which John Piper was the keynote speaker. Other than him bashing football (I've obviously since forgiven him), one of the main things that has stayed with me was his concern for his son Abraham. He continually pleaded with all of us college folk to pray for his son. He wasn't a believer. Very talented musician, but not a believer.

He pleaded with us several times to pray for his son. You could feel the passion in his request, as he earnestly desired for his son to come to faith in Christ. I knew his son had since come to faith, but I don't think I actually saw his name in print anywhere. When I saw it, I thought, "Wow, another prayer answered." Abraham had a lot people praying for him. That joker never had a chance! Just another reminder to continue praying for unbelieving family and extended family members.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geoff,
Abraham Piper wrote an article that appeared in the Billy Graham "Decision" magazine as well as the Desiring God website. In it he gives some of his testimony as well as 12 ways to love a wayward child. You will likely be interested in his testimony and his 12 ways could be helpful for many Christian parents of wayward children. Here's the link: http://www.billygraham.org/DMag_SpiritualHelp_Article.asp?ArticleID=872

David

Unknown said...

David,

Thanks so much for the information! I'm going to check it out and use it as a resource! I appreciate it brother. Peace.

Geoff

Rebekah said...

I think that's the same Justin Taylor that co-edited some John Owen works with my super awesome Covenant professor Dr. Kapic... It makes Owen a lot more readable.

Unknown said...

Rebekah,

I imagine its the same guy. Never read anything by him, but I would imagine he probably makes Owen more readable.

Geoff

Randy Greenwald said...

I've got the super awesome book if anyone would like to glance at it's super awesomeness.