Friday, October 10, 2008

Davin Joseph and his need for community

As I left the gym yesterday from another exciting elliptical machine experience (I hate it and can't wait for my stinkin' wrist to heal so I can get back to the weights!), I caught the tail end of the Davin Joseph radio show. He is an offensive lineman (Right Guard) for the Bucs, who has recently come back from a foot fracture.

When asked about his return to game action, he commented how other members of the line played a part in his decision on when to come back. He said his fellow lineman "know" him, meaning that they know his competitive nature and desire to get back in the games. He also said, "They know me, and they know me." His 2nd reference to "know" was referring to the fact that they know his competitive nature often clouds his judgment. If left to his own, he would return early from injury and thus do further damage to his body.

So they knew his strength (competitive nature) and they knew his weakness (tendency to come back early from injury). As a result of being in community with these guys, Davin decided to come back in Week 5. His teammates commended him for his desire, but graciously encouraged him not to come back too early. Fortunately for them, and for me the fan, he listened. He seems fine now.

This once again shows us the importance of living in community, not in isolation from others who can affirm our strengths and help us in our weaknesses.

No comments: