Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Red Sox Religion

Tampa Bay Rays mania may start to dwindle very soon. With only 20 games left in the regular season, they are only up one and half games against the evil Red Sox. Most people are just hoping for a Wild Card shot. That seems more likely since they haven't scored A run in two games. But at least we'll be there for one game to root for the home team. One game, but four tickets though.

Amy and I, along with Connar and my in-laws will be seeing the Rays as they host the Sox next Monday night. I'm a little leery of taking Connar to a game, especially with Red Sox fan (I, like Jim Rome, lump them all together). I don't trust him. I'm not a fan of Red Sox fan. 

Someone on talk radio described the way Red Sox fan looks at baseball. Normally a fairly shallow host, he profoundly said something to the effect of "It's not a passion for them. It's a religion. It's what they talk about over dinner."

He uses the word "religion" loosely here. Yet I think essentially, he is correct. What we hold up as of supreme importance is our god, practically speaking. And we talk about that which we hold most dear. No one has to tell me to talk about the Bucs, fishing, Amy, Connar. Not in that order. I just do. I consider them important. 

Our "religion" is displayed not simply by our going to church on Sundays (what we do with our time), but in our conversations throughout the week (what we do with our words). Because behind those words is a heart that either considers Jesus of supreme importance that day, or of lesser importance. Sadly, I think I think too little of Him. And its reflected in my words. 

To have him more on our lips, He must take a greater place in our hearts. And hopefully someone can say, "Jesus is a religion to him or her. He's what they talk about at dinner." 



No comments: