Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Parents Training Day

While staying with my in-laws (brother/sister-in-laws that is) this weekend, I was greatly blessed by their ministry to their children. Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it," immediately came to mind.

As I was eating breakfast on Saturday morning, their oldest son, a third grader, was praying silently before consuming his victuals. His parents taught him that when the whole family couldn't eat together, each child had a responsibility to thank the Lord for his food. And I got to see that "training" play itself out. At the time, I had forgotten to say thanks for my food and was reminded by this third grader. Oh, the faith of a child.

Then on Sunday morning I overheard my brother-in-law talk about tithing with his boys.

"Thomas, your allowance is 3 dollars, so that means 30 cents."

"Ryan, your allowance is 2 dollars so that means 20 cents."

I can imagine that they'll do the same thing with their kids, since it was done so with my brother-in-law by his parents.

No comments: