Friday, September 12, 2008

Belichik and Assurance

A woman at the gym (an older woman, just to make sure you know) asked me, "Didn't you have a baby recently?" I told her that it was my wife who had the baby-and I think she knew that, because she had three herself-and how Connar was doing.

Then I asked her, the only Patriots fan I've ever met who is not annoying, "What do you think about the whole Tom Brady situation?" I picked him up in my fantasy football league this year with my first pick. Mistake number one, because he just tore his ACL and is out for the season. While I hate the Patriots, I also like to win. I was torn about Tom's tear.

Apparently the coach, affectionately known as Bill "Belicheat" Belichik (because he got caught cheating), did something quite out of character. At least the character I notice from afar. Instead of bringing a big name back-up to compete for the job, he told everyone he would stick with their present back-up, now starter, QB Matt Cassell. The same Matt Cassell who hasn't started A real game since high school. Seriously. No starts in college. Crazy.

His reasoning? Matt had enough pressure on him. Why make him fearful about losing his job? He has enough on his plate. Fear wouldn't motivate him. Instead Bill felt the coach's assurance would be enough motivation.

I think that is a great picture of the way God deals with us. Fear may work to motivate some folks in athletics, though it doesn't seem to work for Coach Gruden (10 QB's in 6 years). But it doesn't move us forward in our faith. Fear has to do with punishment and condemnation. And Jesus has taken punishment and shame upon himself. Once for all. Blessed assurance is a better motivator. Thanks for reminding me Bill.

1 comment:

TulipGirl said...

" Fear may work to motivate some folks in athletics, though it doesn't seem to work for Coach Gruden (10 QB's in 6 years). But it doesn't move us forward in our faith. Fear has to do with punishment and condemnation. And Jesus has taken punishment and shame upon himself. Once for all. Blessed assurance is a better motivator. Thanks for reminding me Bill."

That gives lots of food for thought, doesn't it?