Tuesday, September 30, 2008

31 Days of Prayer

After 31 years of life, I'm beginning to see the need for structure. For instance, take prayer. If left to pray without any direction, I will pray about the trinity of Me, Myself, and I. I'll not pray globally. I'll not pray for missions. Even when I want to pray for missions, I'll often find myself praying generic prayers I assume would apply to all missionaries.

Not that God doesn't hear those prayers and respond, but I'm ignoring a ton of personal stuff such missionaries actually
are requesting. Not only that, but I can only pray generically for so long before I feel like a broken record. Without some direction, some structure, I can quickly lose interest. I can quickly lose passion. Who would have thought, without some structure, plan, or direction, I could actually lose passion?
Structure and direction enhance my joy and freedom in prayer. They don't kill it!


So in order to "spice up" my prayer life, to get Amy and I on the same page praying globally, and to unite with our church, our denomination, and hopefully anyone else who wants to join up, I'm committing to pray through the "31 days of prayer" MTW (our denomination's mission agency) has constructed. It allows us to focus our prayers on people we wouldn't normally focus on. It also gives info on HOW to pray. Info like how to pray for persecuted believers in Egypt and church planting in Mexico. I would highly commend this opportunity to you. You can download and print out this calendar here under the post entitled "Missions." I think you will find it helpful to you and your family, so take advantage of it or something similar.

No comments: