Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Running with the Racer

I don't think I'll ever walk outside the front door again. Yesterday Amy informed me that a big black snake noticed her as she came in from getting the mail. As I went out to look in the yard, I saw nothing. That is until out of the corner (or middle, perhaps it was the middle) of my eye, the black racer suddenly earned its name. It raced toward the front door where Amy was haplessly standing. It literally footed ('inch' isn't a good word, it was moving too fast) right over Amy's feet. It could have bit her if it wanted. And I've heard they can.

Amy jumped inside as it tried to literally come through the door. Then it turned its attention to me, heading straight toward me at about 45 mph. Easily that fast. I yelled out for help, or back-up, and ran for the garage.

We both survived this brief scare and our heart rate dropped down to normal exercise levels after 15 minutes. Fortunately Connar was inside with Grandma and slept through it all. Gosh I hate snakes.

I found him again and watched him as he slithered through to the back of the yard. I should have 'shoveled' him to death. But I guess he eats rats or something like that. He better eat his weight in rats, or else it wouldn't have been worth it to let him live. Gosh I hate snakes. Hope you can stay snake free.

2 comments:

Gail and Keith said...

Chuckling. That was a frightful encounter. I was relaying the story to J. just now and he informed me he saw a Black Racer cross our driveway near the front door Tuesday. They live in the ferns in our front yard which isn't a yard at all, but a tiny field of ferns. Yes, they eat the rodents for which I'm grateful, but when Racer and human cross paths, Racers aren't supposed to be aggressive. The caution for the day, look before you step!

Love Your Neighborhood Inspirational Tea Times said...

Oh, I'll be looking alright. I'll be looking really well. I may call in for back up. I do have on water moccassin "assisted killing." But I think I'm ready for my first solo kill.

Geoff