Wednesday, May 7, 2008

We live in Tentative Times; we always have!

Lately I've been having a fun time scheduling things. I really have. There is not a huge section of my life that is truly organized. OK, there probably isn't a small section either, except when it comes to Contacts and Calendar-courtesy of Apple and Microsoft respectively. Since I've become a pastor most everything big I do, or person I meet with, is put on my electronic calendar. If something happens, and it gets canceled, no harm, no foul. I just electronically delete it.

Now that Amy is due in two weeks, everything I plan becomes extremely tentative. And all the more so as the Vday (or technically B-day for birthday, but I like WWII terms better sometimes) approaches. So now I'll tell people when I plan something with them, "We'll say 'tentatively' Tuesday at noon" or something like that. I even have to have back up plans for preaching this Sunday, and for my report on the floor of presbytery next Tuesday. I seriously do have a "Pinch Preacher." No lie. Hope you don't have to see or hear him.

Anyhow, I got to thinking, as I sometimes do, and thought, "Everything is ultimately tentative." Nothing is set in stone. There really isn't a need to add 'tentatively' to my plans. There is a tentativeness about life that should simply be presupposed. James 4:13-ff reminds us to say, "If the Lord wills, we will do this or that."

However, I don't think we need a literal recitation of these words every time we make plans. In fact it bothers me sometimes when people have to say EVERYTIME "Lord willing, I will see you tomorrow." I know everything depends upon Lord willing. I'm Reformed and know that all things happen according to God's Sovereign will.

Maybe I need reminders of that truth sometimes. But it does sound unnecessarily redundant if I already presume EVERYTHING is according the Lord's will. Maybe I'm just being picky, but you don't need to say "Lord willing to me" every time you see me. Thanks.

No comments: