Saturday, May 10, 2008

Thank God for counsel


Today I had to make a decision on something that would be somewhat public. I'm staying vague here because of law suits. Not really, but you do never know who will sue you in our litigious society.

Anyhow, I sought some counsel with a friend whom I consider more mature in the Lord than I (though not that counsel from less mature folks is worthless), and who once walked in my shoes. Again, I'm staying generic.

However, I'm so thankful and filled with joy that I have someone-actually I have several folks-that I can ask hard questions to and listen to their counsel. Most Christians have folks like these in their circles, but because of pride, self-autonomy, and disdain for accountability don't actually invite them into their lives.

But it is a beautiful thing for someone younger in the faith (again, the order can be reversed sometimes) to come to someone older and say, "What would you do in this situation" or "do you think this is really wrong?" I'll never forget a college girl who asked me my best bud whether or not she should take a job as a bar tender. I still can't believe that a college person sought counsel! May we all be more like this girl, or woman, now.

No comments: