Sunday, April 20, 2008

Faith like a child

I had to get to church a little bit early today to move chairs back into place. Randy was already there, along with his son Collin and another young adult who had anticipated practicing music-not setting up chairs. Collin, as usual, was full of questions this morning.

I was greeted by, "When the Israelites were enslaved, were they victims of war or was it something else?" Then it moved on to more natural stuff like Orca Sharks and the Ice Age-typical 6 year old questions. He really does ask me some good questions; in fact I've come to expect good questions from him.

And he didn't disappoint. While we were setting up the chairs, he asked, "Can you let me know whenever the church needs something done, so I can come up here and help?" Wow.

When I think of faith like a child, I tend to think of someone who simply believes because God says it in His word. But this child's faith also included participation and connection to the local church. And I think that's part of child-like faith: a simple connection and desire to serve the church. Not serving out of guilt or to escape problems at home, but out of true desire. Some have this faith, and some don't. But this is the kind of faith worth praying for. And I need to pray like this because even pastors (who HAVE to serve the church), are to do it not out of compulsion but instead with eagerness (I Peter 5:2). Thanks for the reminder Collin.

4 comments:

MagistraCarminum said...

Thanks for the snapshot of this terrific little guy with all the questions: and for the reminder to serve with gladness.

My own personal favorite Collin question was several years ago, when sitting next to his Uncle Dave in the car, he looked up at him from his low vantage point and asked, "Uncle Dave, do you have spiders living in your nose?" :-D

Geoffsnook said...

Hilarious! He's a little quote machine for sure.

Randy Greenwald said...

Okay, so I was not going to call out the error publicly, but seeing that others are picking up on it, it's time to set the record straight. I know of no six year olds named 'Collin'. However, I am quite familiar with and terribly fond of a seven year old named 'Colin'.

He challenges us all, and blesses us deeply. Wow. Is that a gift of God, or what?

So... does Dave have spiders up his nose? The whole world wants to know now.

MagistraCarminum said...

LOL! How can he be 7 already?!

And no spiders up that nose...just a few old-man things that reminded Colin of spider legs...