Monday, April 14, 2008

Busyness artice in Herald

Here is a the link to my article from the Bradenton Herald. This time I have no 'beef' with them for changing the title. I forgot to give one. Maybe its just what psychologists call "learned helplessness:" subconsciously, why try when it never works?

Anyhow, they did leave out two particular sentences. Now these forgotten sentences didn't change the overall point of the article. But they did however, in my opinion, perhaps, slightly alter the tone of the article. It sounded as though I think of myself as just as busy as the busiest person. That is not true, nor do I hope that to be true. Some people are objectively busier than others. That truth was left out. Nevertheless, the evaluative questions I raise in the article can, and I think ought to be asked by us all. I have to ask them regularly so that my calendar doesn't fill up without thinking of relationships with my wife and family, (and soon to be kid), my church family, outside the church family, neighbors, etc...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

busyness is the greatest thing for a healthy marriage...

elizabeth taylor

Unknown said...

I totally agree.

-Ernest Hemingway

Anonymous said...

Hey Geoff,
Your point about how people fill their lives with activity in order to feel important strikes home with me. It's like this works oriented, self-vindicating busyness becomes our justification for our inactivity in more important areas. Eventually, this busyness becomes an idol, at least for me.

Tom

Unknown said...

Tom,

Great point. I feel the same pull and always have to be on guard. Busyness has become one of the main idols of the church, and of course, our surrounding culture. I have to be extra careful because busyness often becomes another means to escape the call to relationships.