Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Take a licking and keep on ticking

For the responsible Calvinist, there is always a tension between resting in God's providence (His overall involvement of all life) and simply being responsible. Let me give you an example.

God is active in the world and there are times when we will simply allow us to get sick. Nevertheless, it would be foolish not to wash our hands when we go to the bathroom, take out the trash, or leave the gym (the first thing Amy does is reach for and hand me the hand sanitizer!). Failure to do so can expose us to unnecessary germ exposure and lead to sickness.

However even when being as responsible as possible, God still holds the final 'trump' card on what will ultimately happen. Regardless of responsibility or lack there0f. One of Amy's students last week or two has been regularly licking door knobs. This is obviously disgusting. No argument there. But wouldn't you expect that licking door knobs might get one sick?

Well yesterday there were only 8 kids in Amy's class. One can assume that most were sick (since it wasn't raining-a common excuse to stay home), as several actually came to school sick.
But among those in attendance was the door knob licker. He, so far as we could tell suffered no ill effects from his licking. Yet 7 other kids, who abstained from door knob licking (at least for lent) got sick.

Often being responsible doesn't mean that things will turn out as expected. On the flip side, being irresponsible doesn't preclude blessing. Fortunately. Regardless of how much I mess up stuff through my irresponsibility, God will still work out all things for my good (conforming me to Christ's image) and His glory. So I can seek to be responsible and relax. Being responsible shouldn't make us neurotic or O.C.D. or overly timid. And of course believing in God's providence shouldn't make us irresponsible or disobedient (failing to love others, share the gospel, pray, go to church, etc...) either.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I tried giving up licking doors for lent.. I found that it really only perpetuated my self righteousness because everytime some would ask "would you like a lick" or here.. you have some.. I would respond, "nope, gave it up for lent." Which in the end only distracted from my original purpose... which i never really knew what that was... good post none the less.