Friday, March 7, 2008

The Lord will remove the Yankees soon!

I just finished my personal bible study in Ephesians recently and decided to take a road less traveled and hit up some of the minor prophets. They are very difficult to understand, and one really does need some sort of reference tool like a study bible or commentary to really understand what’s happening. That’s just the price we pay for being 21st century Gentiles. But that’s fine with me: I don’t think I would fare too well back in the ‘old days.’

Anyhow, I came across a verse that seemed very relevant and comforting for a 21st century Bradentonian (or anyone living in Florida) during the months of November through March. Check it out:

Joel 2:20 "I will remove the northerner far from you, and drive him into a parched and desolate land…

Here was my first thought, “Great, traffic will finally be better now in Bradenton!” Now I have nothing against the Northerners being down here during winter time per se. They keep our economy floating, I think. But for traffic purposes-and the hope of waiting under an hour to be seated at Olive Garden-most residents here would be glad when the Lord ‘removes’ them from us.

It would be fairly ludicrous to interpret this verse to refer to Florida’s winter residents. I think all of you would agree (though many Floridians begrudgingly, as though you wish I were on to something). While this example is hyperbolic, folks do like to pick and choose isolated verses to support personal agendas that have nothing to do with the context.

God’s word is a sword. But we must be careful and responsible in interpreting it. Improper interpretation of God’s word can cut people in a bad way: either by weighing them down with pharisaical burdens or moving them away from the church.

No comments: