Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sins of the father....

As a father to be, I wonder how my own junk will affect my child. No father is perfect, and so all of us who were at one time children, deal in some way with junk passed down from our parents. One family I knew at a previous church always blamed others and never took any personal responsibility. It was passed down from father to all of his children. In Billy Madison, the O'Doyle family continually proclaimed "O'Doyles rule!" until the whole family drove off a cliff in their station wagon. I see it all around me. Even at the gym.

Let me explain. On Friday, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a beautiful Mulletino (aka the Latin Mullet). The long part in the back was bleached and permed, while the rest was dark brown. As I left the gym, I spotted one of his kids. The sides of his head were shaved, while the top was short, and the back was long, flowing, and pristine. Another Mulletino. Like father, like son. Sorry I didn't get a picture with my cell phone. Maybe another day.

Since no father is perfect, it just reminds me of the need to be a repentant father and to regularly point my child to the Heavenly Father. Otherwise he might try to look a little bit TOO much like me. Although I'm not worried about him/her trying to copy my hair style: balding brown is not really 'in' right now.

2 comments:

TulipGirl said...

You know. . . as my kids get older and as I become less caught up in being a "perfect" parent, I realize more each day that the heart of parenting is knowing that my need for the Gospel and my kids' need for the Gospel is the same. We are both sinners in need of a Saviour. We both need grace daily.

Like you said. . . like father, like son. . .

Unknown said...

My sentiments exactly.