Wednesday, December 5, 2007


I have to admit that I love this time of year. I love pretty much everything about Xmas, with the exception of fruitcake, eggnog, and trying to figure out that last Xmas gift.

Perhaps my favorite part is listening or singing Xmas songs. I like pretty much all the carols/hymns-with the exception of "Lo' How a Rose Er' Blooming-and several other non traditional songs by The Chieftans and Amy Grant.

But to say I like Xmas songs is almost like saying I like dogs. I like many dogs. But some dogs I don't care for (I'll not put the names down in case you have one on the most hated list). Same with Xmas songs.

But one Xmas song I hate is "Jingle Bell Rock." That would be my least favorite. Dumb tune, dumb lyrics, dumb idea. But I would like to hear from you. What are your least favorite Xmas songs or song? Please feel free to post anonymously; most do anyway. I'd like to hear some other opinions, so I'll lend you my proverbial ear.

6 comments:

MagistraCarminum said...

I hate "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer", and a close second is "Jingle Bells" done by barking dogs. Egad!

Geoffsnook said...

Magistra,

Fine choice. One vote for Grandma! I hate Jingle Bells but it is one of the few Xmas songs I can (meaning lack of ability/knowledge) play on guitar for the Kindergardeners at my wife's school.

Randy Greenwald said...

One of my favorites is 'Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming.' I wonder how come I can't seem to get it into a worship service these days. :-)

Randy Greenwald said...

By the way, Geoff, I'd keep an eye on this 'Magistra' gal. Her reputation on the web is that she is one mean chick. Don't trust anyone who hides behind a Latin moniker.

Gus/Adri said...

Oh, c'mon! "Lo, How a Rose..." is a favorite of mine; it has a beautiful tune and the words reference OT prophecies.
I rather like the lively bounce of "Jingle Bell Rock." So call me weird if you wish.
Anything by the Chipmunks (Alvin and his cohorts) is anathema, and I agree about "Grandma Got Run Over..." "Drummer Boy" is cute but tends to be played ad nauseum; and is there any Biblical basis for the lyrics?
"Infant Holy, Infant Lowly" is a lovely Polish tune; we don't sing it often enough to suit me. --ae

MagistraCarminum said...

Geoff,

Do not let Randy scare you. You can click on my "Latin moniker" and find out more than you ever wanted to know. And I am meek. Really I am.

And, most obviously, anyone who doesn't understand the intricate beauties of "Lo, How a Rose Ere Blooming" (which is more beautiful in German, just for the record), should really not be given much credence in musical things...
;-)