Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Fearfully and wonderfully made

In case you don't know yet, Amy and I are going to have a baby. Well, actually, Amy will be the one 'having it' (if you want to get technical), but I'll be there in the room for moral support.

Regardless, I've been amazed at the 'baby process.' Its absolutely crazy. We had our 2nd doctor's visit last Friday, and we got to hear the heartbeat. I think the count was like 158 beats a minute. A little fast more my liking, but the lady (I can't remember if it was a nurse, doctor, midwife, other person-there's so many folks coming in and out that I get confused) said that was plenty normal.
One thing that I'm amazed about is all the 'thought process' that goes into the whole gestation, or whatever you call it, thing. I mean its amazing that at 13 weeks, something forms, at 15 weeks, something else, and so on. You can tell I'm well read on the matter. That's one thing I need to be better at.


But its so cool how the body 'knows' what to do, and how it all works. Amazing. I know I'm biased, being a Christian and all, but this whole baby thing ought to make one rethink Atheism or evolution. Like I said, anyone who is a Christian has a bias, and anyone who is a non-Christian also has a bias. We are looking at facts from differing point of views, which makes us arrive at different conclusions.

Nevertheless, it seems much harder to believe that this whole process comes about by mutation and chance. Its just too amazing, complex, and interdependent. While the ancients knew little of the development of babies in wombs, David's claim in Psalm 139 divulges he at least knew God had a part in it: "For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works, my soul knows it very well." 139:14-15

In our short experience together, Amy and I would echo his sentiments.

No comments: