Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Spicing things up

In order to "spice up" my devotional life, I have decided to add (not replace) some devotional literature to my normal diet of God's Word. I have rarely ever used devotional literature, but thought it might be helpful to read reflections from saints who've gone before me.

In the two days since I've started, I've found it quite helpful.
I'm currently reading a book edited by Richard Foster called Devotional Classics. It contains entries and excerpts from a variety of different authors from St. Augustine to C.S. Lewis. I found today's entry quite thoughtful. It is a greater cost NOT to follow Christ than TO follow Christ.

".....(Regarding Bonhoeffer's Cost of Discipleship
) It was right to point out that one cannot be a disciple of Christ without forfeiting things normally sought in human life, and that one who pays little in the world's coinage to bear his name has reason to wonder where he or she stands with God. But the cost of nondiscipleship is far greater-even when this life alone is considered-than the price paid to walk with Jesus. Nondiscipelship costs abiding peace, a life penetrated throughout by love, faith that sees everything in the light of God's overriding governance for good, hopefulness that stands firm in the most discouraging of circumstances, power to do what is right and withstand the forces of evil....The correct perspective is to see following Christ not only as the necessity it is, but as the fulfillment of the highest human possibilities and as life on the highest plane." - Dallas Willard, Philosophy Professor at USC

Well written. It does not need any further comment.

No comments: