Tuesday, October 2, 2007

God is not our football coach

On the way to the church this morning, I was listening to sports talk (big surprise, I know-but I did read the 'ticker' at the bottom of the screen during Good Morning America so I did get some 'real news'). Anyhow a baseball commentator was being interviewed about the New York Mets' tragic and historic collapse: they were up 7 games with 17 games to go. The Sports talk show host questioned if the manager's job was at stake.

They went to the playoffs last year, and barely missed them this year. But each year comes the question: "What have you done for me
lately?." How quickly we forget. And it happens in every major sport. Now I'm realizing more and more that things which are perfectly normal to think about regarding mundane everyday stuff often get transferred over to our view of God.

For instance, the coach's job
is to win, and they are obviously subject to being fired based upon a lack of wins; I understand that, and they understand that when they enter into this profession. But don't we tend to have a "What have you done for me lately view of God?" If He's provided graciously for a period of time, and then for reasons unbeknownst to me, I hit 'a rough patch,' I wonder what the deal is. He's not performing how I would like Him to perform. I can't fire Him, so I complain.

I look back and see all the wonderful things God did for the Israelites, and they immediately forgot and started complaining. Ultimately they had a "What have you done for me lately" approach with God. However, I'm just glad I wasn't in their shoes. Looking at my track record, I don't know that I would have distinguished myself like Joshua and Caleb with great faith.


One thing I do know is that I look at God like a football coach (by the way-I was ready to fire Gruden, and still am if the Bucs don't make the playoffs). But instead of looking at the most recent of my "wins" and "losses," I really ought to reflect more on the past. He's delivered before, and that's all I need to go on. He's done plenty enough to deserve "His job" and my respect for it.

No comments: