Friday, August 3, 2007

Engagement calling circle


A few days ago someone called me to tell me he was engaged. I was excited for him and his good news. But about 15 minutes after we chatted, I felt even more excited. Not so much because his joy had infiltrated my joy (it also happened to be my birthday!), but because he had chosen to call me personally and share the good news with me.

It made me feel honored that I was part of his 'engagement calling circle.' Friendships and deeper relationships are things worth starting and cultivating. For some folks it comes quite easy, while for others it is painstaking. But deeper relationships among family and friends make life a lot more enjoyable.

I think the dude from Ecclesiastes stumbled upon this point:

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!

No comments: