Thursday, July 12, 2007

You're quite expensive

As some of our young folk were singing the offertory "I am not skilled understand" a few weeks ago, I was really pierced by the unique cost of Christianity. In no other religion does a deity sacrifice himself to save a people. I'm not sure any deity even does anything that makes him/her uncomfortable or inconveniences him/her a slight bit to save a people.

Every other religion requires sacrifice from the people, where as Christianity requires first a sacrifice from God: Himself. God the Son gives Himself up and God the Father turns His back on God the Son's cries. Wow. The height of sacrifice, pain, and inconvenience.

I think it pays to marvel over the fact that God had to actually do something, something HUGE, to save us. Pretty cool, eh? That's good news any day of the week, I think.

No comments: