Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Sports Authority



Last Tuesday, on the way home from eating with a friend, I purchased a kayak. I really wasn't buying it on a whim. I had been wanting to do this for a while, investigated a few, and then decided to make the purchase.

I finally took it out for its maiden voyage on Monday. I'm glad I didn't crack a bottle of champagne (as is customary on large vessels) or even the champagne of beers (Miller High life) on the hull because it would have made it harder to return. Yep return. The ride was awful, it hurt my back, and I almost tipped it over several times while re-positioning myself. But The Sports Authority came through in the clutch.

I learned a few things here.

1.) Always keep receipts (either by putting them in your wallet or leaving them in a bag in your car).
2.) Sometimes its better to be REALLY patient and read several reviews on expensive products before committing to purchase them
3.) If you neglect #2, then make sure you buy from The Sports Authority, which boasts (or perhaps its just me boasting about them) the world's most liberal return policy.

2 comments:

Gail and Keith said...

Awwww, I'm sorry the kayak did not work out. Mike and Marsha could have given you excellent instruction on operating the thing, but with your back being a major issue, that probably would not be a help anyway.

Gail

Unknown said...

Gail,

Yep, I think Mike and Marsha would have given great advice. But you can only do so much with a cheap kayak. Apparently the kind I bought (my Dad later told me) was known for being the 'bottom of the barrel!'