Thursday, May 17, 2007

Going 'all' the way

[Dirk Shadd | Times]
PRAYER OF THANKS: Wide receiver Maurice Stovall kneels in prayer before walking off the field after practice at the Bucs training facility in Tampa on Wednesday. Since playing football at Archbishop John Carroll High School in the Philadelphia area, Stovall has said a prayer while walking on and off the field during practice or a game, he said.


I saw this picture and caption in the St. Pete times, and thought it was pretty cool. Now I'm not one of those guys who thinks that everyone who points to the sky when he scores a touchdown or thanks God when she receives some music award (like Mariah Carey) is a Christian. However when I see football players who are trying to knock the crud out of each other for 3 hours huddle up and bow in prayer, I have to say that I'm encouraged.

To come together and pray, even though emotions might be running high, shows that some do care more about giving honor to Christ than winning (I'm assuming that's who they're praying to, but I don't know because I've never been invited into those huddles). And I believe it would be very hard for me to pray alongside a bitter rival like a Carolina Panther after they embarrassed me and my team (if I played, I would be playing for Tampa Bay of course).

In addition, I find encouragement in Maurice Stovall's prayer of thanksgiving. Praying to the God who gives him the ability to play such a game is but another way to do "all to the glory of God (I Cor 10:31)." And in this case, "all" I think, really does mean "all." Even playing football can be done for God's glory, and I think that's pretty cool. So can a lot more things we do if we would stop and think about how to apply this verse. For example, praising God for His creativity as I see the diversity of his creation when I fish (even when I can't catch that diversity) is but one more example of how to turn something mundane (seemingly) into something quite devotional. But that's probably just the tip of the iceberg, as regards to how one can and should apply this verse to his/her respective activities, job, hobbies, etc...




No comments: